Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Monday, May 05, 2008

What Do You Value?

Remember that lovely angelic friend that I mentioned in a post last month? Well, she was teaching our LiFE Kids class again last night and as usual I learned something even if the kids didn't. We've been going through the character of God with these kids for the past eight months or so and will soon be wrapping up for the summer break that our teachers enjoy and this year our kids will too. So far the teaching has been pretty easy to follow but last night the lesson was on God's being righteous while a large part of it focused on God's glory being valuable above all else. A day later, I'm not sure what the connection was but I'm sure it was evident last night.

Okay, so let's get down to the nitty gritty.
The thing that left an impression on me was something that Ms. C said as almost an Anacrusis or pick-up note to a main point. In speaking of a miracle of God she said something about not putting value on the miracle in place of God Himself. It struck me then that we (I) can find ourselves trusting in or placing an undo amount of value on that which God has done by not recocnizing the value of He who accomplished it.

The miracle that came to mind for me is the most amazing miracle that I've witnessed, my salvation. The changing of one's heart is truly a great act and can only be truly accomplished by God. The Creator of this vessel has every right and power necessary to do so while a loved one, parent, or spouse has neither. God is the Author and Accomplisher of Salvation. But am I trusting in what happened one night over a decade ago or the God who accomplished it? Do I place more value on what He has accomplished or He who had the power to do so?


My prayer is to know and trust the God of my salvation more and more so that I may value Him more...

and more
and more and more
and more and more and more
and more and more and more and more
and more and more and more and more and more
and more and more and more and more and more and more
and more and more and more and more and more and more and more
...

2 comments:

Pasha said...

Great thoughts Nanci! I have been having similar thoughts about trust this week. Does trust mean that I am unfailingly optomistic that God will eventually do what I want Him to do or is my trust (as it should be)in an all-wise and powerful God who knows and will do what is truely best for me even if it may be to give me trials?

If I am not in the Word, idols (self, fear of man, material things...) start taking the place in my thoughts that God should have and I am tempted to trust in them.

Thanks for sharing what you have been learning. It encoraged me today.

Pasha

N. L. White said...

I'm glad, God be praised.