Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Sunday, September 24, 2006

"I'd Rather Have Jesus"

Today, I was blessed to again fellowship with the congregation of East-bay Baptist Church. One of the songs we sang was "I'd Rather Have Jesus." As we sang I prayed that the Lord would make those words true of my heart, mind, and life; for I know they are far from such even now. There are too many things that I'd like to have, many of them too private to list here and some too shameful to express even in writing. There are those which are completely honorable but most are toward selfish ambition or the fulfilment of sinful desires.

However "I am confident of this very thing that He who began a good work in [me] will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6) This is the very reason that I cannot get bogged down with what I lack in Christ, He is faithful to accomplish all that He has set out to do, including my purification. Even with all of this confidence the question remains "Would I rather have Jesus than anything?"

The hopeful believer can only pray: "Lord, make it so."

I'd Rather Have Jesus

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name

Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

2 comments:

ONLY ONE NAME JESUS CHRIST OF NAZARETH Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” said...

33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.(Mathew 6:33)

N. L. White said...

Yes, indeed,
although it is eaiser said and quoted than done.