Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dinner Bell

I am a sensual eater. What does that mean? Much of what I love and appreciate is in some way associated with food. The way it smells, the texture, the flavor it has and leaves behind in my mouth, all of these things are important to my opinion of a dish and therefore my overall experience. I tend to form memories based upon what's on the table. The draw back is that I'm always looking out for new memories. As a way to get around the immense amount of calories that can go unused by this behaviour I have sometimes substituted the longing for more of the flavor of a particular food by focusing on it's smell or making sure to drink water after the meal to cleanse the palate of that which yearns to be joined by more of its kind.

So when you ask me "how was your trip?" or "what did you do while you were out there?", and your expecting a rundown of things seen or done; don't be put out if all you get is a diverse menu.

___________________________________


Some people that I've talked to over the past couple of weeks have asked about the food I've had while here in the Bay Area. The first week we were sure to visit "In-N-Out Burger" as well as cold stone ice cream parlor and this week we went to California Pizza Kitchen. The first weekend we went to lunch at a great restaurant with a view of the raging Pacific and had dinner at Calzone's in North Beach (little Italy). Every place we've been from the little Chinese Restaurant (Ha's) here in Danville to the grand Cliff House of San Francisco has been a little bit of an experience to take home however the best food I've had has been in the homes I've been graciously greeted into. There's something great about having a meal with people who are kind beyond your deserving as well as fellow lovers of food.

Around the beginning of this summer the family I work with took a trip to Silver Dollar City and I as a veteran tripster was invited to help with the kids and show them around the city. On the way home as the children had gone to sleep their mom and I began to talk a little and as always the conversation ended up on food. She and I have a common love for both the preparing and eating of food (although my love is a little more apparent from the outside). The great thing about sharing meals prepared by or simply with someone who loves food is that you can enjoy what's on the table without caring what someone else might say about your fifth piece of pizza.


I do look forward to joining those I have fellowship with back home for meals once again but in the mean-time I have been blessed.

2 comments:

N. L. White said...

Some of the meals I've had:

Shrimp Tempora with Rice and Green Beans (a house favorite)

Beef and Chicken Fajitas (with a yummy home-made guacamole)

Hamburgers with Sharp Cheddar (perfectly seasoned)

Pesto Chicken with Pasta (simple yet satisfying and tasty)

Beef with Potato Casserole (A week later I still say thank you for this one)

Marinated, Baked French Toast (Grandma loves to cook too)

Spagetti with Pepperoni Red Sauce (a family recipe that's yummy every time)

N. L. White said...

These have been the home meals.