Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Saturday, September 09, 2006

"Dream A Little Dream"

I had an extremnely odd dream a week ago. In this dream a I was driving through a familiar area of the town in which my mother lives, when I came to a river that wan not eaisly passed as it flowed over the road. The river however was not only strangly placed but even more peculiar because it was not one of water but of blood. In the dream I looked toward the source of the river and saw what looked like a modernized Jewish temple. As I watched this small but rushing river flow, I thought to myself, "What a shame. All this blood is going to waste. They can never cover all their sins with even this much blood. It only lasts a little while, until the next sin."

On a slightly different note.
It is my goal on a weekly basisto read through the chapter or passage which our Pastor intends to preach on the Saturday before, that I may have an opportunity to meditate on the passage with the Holy Spirit's guidance and be better prepared for worship the following morning. Last week hawever I was not afforded this opportunity.
The passage Pastor Ed finished up this past week was Hebrews 7:26-28
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself. 28 For the Law appoints men as high priests who are weak, but the word of the oath, which came after the Law, appoints a Son, made perfect forever.

I am not one to believe that all dreams can be interpreted or that each of them has a specific meaning, however this one did arrive in a timely manner.


Not All the Blood Of Beasts

Not all the blood of beasts
On Jewish altars slain
Could give the guilty conscience peace
Or wash away the stain.

But Christ, the heav’nly Lamb,
Takes all our sins away;
A sacrifice of nobler name
And richer blood than they.

My faith would lay her hand
On that dear head of Thine,
While, like a penitent, I stand,
And there confess my sin.
My soul looks back to see

The burdens Thou didst bear
When hanging on the cursèd tree,
And hopes her guilt was there.

Believing, we rejoice
To see the curse remove;
We bless the Lamb with cheerful voice,
And sing His bleeding love.

Isaac Watts, Hymns and Spiritual Songs, 1709.

Hebrews 10:1-3
1For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near. 2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins? 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

No comments: