Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Burying the Hatchet (Part 1)

There is a Garth Brooks song I listened to in my wild and wooly days, (Okay, just wooly) that spoke of burying the hatchet only to dig it back up. It has been my experiance that this is just what I/we do with sin.
Repentance is to turn away from your sin and walk in the completly opposite direction toward He who is devoid of sin and cannot tolerate it's presence. But too often we turn away from a sin only to position our heads in such a way that we may ocasionally see if it's still back there. I once heard a Whoopie Goldberg routine where she was pretending to be a little girl of color longing for "long luxurious blonde hair." In the sketch she removed the yellow shirt from her head and tried to ignore it, not even think about it only to pick it up again for fear that it may get dusty. - yeah, I was immersed in worldliness as a youngster. Too bad it wasn't spelling or language arts.
Do we really need the help of Satan and his devils to remember that which has been laid aside. Let your sins get dusty friend. Let them be buried under layer upon layer of the thickest covering, that you may look back on it with even a portion of the contempt that God holds for such. (Ezekiel 36)
Yeah, yeah, well said, but do I practice what I write? No. I am usually writing to state what I know to be true, not that it may change one or some of you (not that any of 168 people who have viewed make comments so that I know you're even reading this blog...hint...hint) but rather because it is what I'm struggling with at the time. The truth that I am trying to affirm so that I can move beyond the lies of the world and the evil one.
(Look for "Burying the Hatchet (Part 2): A Step Beyond the Sin. On the same batty blog, from the same batty blogger.)

1 comment:

4given said...

Remember when you only had 4 readers???
WOW! The numbers shot up, girl. People tend not to post, just read... unless you post something incredibly controversial... and then you may not want to post what they posted.
This was a good one. Yep, sometimes we state what we know, knowing that we have a ways to go. :-)