Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Monday, November 12, 2007

The First In An Endless Step Program

I think that I've mentioned before how I am a great hypocrite but I just wanted to further the point today.

This last week I was very suddenly asked to quote a little book of the Bible that the Lord has graciously allowed me to memorize and miraculously retain for a few years now. Along with the reciting of this book I was asked to do some teaching regarding the importance of God's Word and sing a few scripture songs to or with them. After a little exaggerated thought on the proposition I accepted the invitation and began on a very busy Saturday to prepare for about 20 minutes of teaching children the following morning.

So between an accountability meeting with my lovely and gracious mentor, a family-wide birthday dinner, a tea party and a concert I quoted the book once and for the rest of the day tried to steal moments to consider what else I might have to contribute to these young minds and lives. Those moments however were sucked up with angst over family matters, seeing well-missed faces at both the family and tea gatherings and trying to overcome my social spazz-tizity for a concert setting. I don't think it must be said that I failed in the preparation department. So upon returning home from the concert I spent about an hour talking to myself and my Lord, going through what I wanted to convey to the kids and praying for direction from the very Author of the scriptures I was invited to lift up before this children.

In the end God proved Himself much more faithful to meet the needs of those children than myself. Which, of course, is always the case. I ended up teaching for about 25 minutes and found that the Lord was quick to provide what needed to be said at just the right time. It was an amazing experience to ask the kids questions and then realize not only did I know the answer to the question but more importantly I knew a verse and its reference that the answer was based upon. I could show them exactly how we know that "Jesus Rocks!!"(1 Peter 2) "The Bible Rocks" (2 Timothy 3:16) and we as God's children are meant to Rock (Ephesians 2:10).

I was truly blown away at the things that were coming from my mouth and knew that God alone could be the reason for the sharpness of mind. But I was also convicted because I know that I don't live like Jesus and the Bible Rocks every time I have that opportunity. Therefore I am a hypocrite. Look it up. You'll find that it means someone who says one thing and then lives quite differently when all is boiled down. However there is hope for this hypocrite because like an addict the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. God is good and gracious in all things and He will prove Himself as such time and time again. But as time goes on I pray that my being a hypocrite will be less and less proven.

2 comments:

N. L. White said...

Hey, Pasha
If you read this please leave a comment so that I can find your blog. If you don't read this then well nevermind and forget that this comment was ever posted. This should be very easy to do, seeing that you never read it to begin with.

To everyone else,
Thanks for that little grin that is now upon your lips, even though I can't see it. It warm my heart to know you are amused.

Pasha said...

Hey Nancy,

It was lovely to see you at tea!! How victorian that sounds! Hope you can find my blog now.