Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Cut Short

It was a blessing today to speak with some of the ladies from my home church. However, three of the four ladies I spoke with had to leave our conversations short of their full conclusions because of pressing matters. One of the ladies was in the hospital waiting for the staff to retrieve her for a test in regards to her heart and guess who she was talking to when they arrived. Yes, it was I. The second was a young mother with two children who awoke from their much needed naps and needed their mother's attention. The third was a mother of a newborn who was getting ready to take all four boys on a trip to the doctor's office to run a test on his very small and precious heart. (not that the first lady's heart is not precious, it's just much bigger in both senses of the phrase)
One could react to these happenings very sadly, however for me I think that they were a bit of a blessing. Although you (the only person still reading this post) may think that I am very verbous, the truth is that I am generally "a woman of few words." At times this gets in the way of forming friendships and even working relationships in a healthy manner, however once those relationships get underway I am very pleased to sit back and listen to the people who have grown accustomed to my quiet manner.
The actual reason I called these ladies was simply to hear their voices. I have been away from these people that I see two to three times a week for over a week and although I am very much enjoying my present company, I do miss them dearly. I can safely say that my ears have been satisfied with these seeming half conversations, for I have heard the young mother of two's southern drawl, the mother of a newborn's "to be honest" and the woman waiting to be tested's "how are ya?"
I'm not concerned that these conversations were cut short or that these women left them to meet other needs (much more pressing than my need to hear them simply speak), for I am satisfied to hear that tinge of love within their voices as they greeted a familiar voice from very far away. The Lord is again good to provide just what is needed at just the right time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"TO BE HONEST"(I do say that alot,anyhoo)
I was feeling so bad about having to cut you short.I too enjoyed hearing your voice! THANKS for your kind,understanding words.By the way the baby is fine!
Love(and it's more than A TINGE.. only by his GRACE~ Pebi

N. L. White said...

Thank you, Pebi