Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Saturday, September 02, 2006

Back From Holiday (Island)

There is a small "resort" here in the ozarks called "Holiday Island". It is a small trek from the growing area of North West Arkansas, however, not too far for a much needed day trip.

"What did I need with a little get away when I board a plane for California in less than 48 hours?"

Well, this trip was not for me, rather for my beloved family. Although many of us can go weeks and even months without a call or even the slightest thought of what the others are doing, when one our us leaves for such a distant journey it is imparative that everyone else see their face and perhaps get a hug before they depart. Therefore, it was a much needed holiday.

However this post is not about the destination persay but rather the trip there. In the past I owned Bebo Norman's album "Ten Thousand Days" on cassette and over time it has been destroyed by use. Recently, however, I have purchased it on CD. During the hour long excersion to a campsite where part of my extended family were enjoying the brisk coolness of the morning air I was listening to Mr. Norman's first majorly released work. As the songs played in the order which I am accustomed to hearing them, numbers 1&2 came and left with my singing along merrily, however the masterfully penned words of number 3 presented a challenge to my heart.

The Hammer Holds

A shapeless piece of steel,
That's all I claim to be
This hammer pounds to give me form,
This flame, it melts my dreams
I glow with fire and fury,
As I'm twisted like a vine
My final shape, my final form
I'm sure I'm bound to find

So dream a little, dream for me in hopes that I'll remain
And cry a little, cry for me so I can bear the flames
And hurt a little, hurt for me my future is untold
But my dreams are not the issue here, for they, the hammer holds

And the water, it cools me gray,
And the hurt's subdued somehow
I have my shape, this sharpened point,
What is my purpose now?
And the question still remains,
What am I to be?
Perhaps some perfect piece of art
Displayed for all to see

So dream a little, dream for me in hopes that I'll remain
And cry a little, cry for me so I can bear the flames
And hurt a little, hurt for me my future is untold
But my dreams are not the issue here, for they, the hammer holds

The hammer pounds again,
But flames I do not feel
This force that drives me, helplessly,
Through flesh, and wood reveals
A burn that burns much deeper,
It's more than I can stand
The reason for my life was to take the life
Of a guiltless man

So dream a little, dream for me in hopes that I'll remain
And cry a little, cry for me so I can bear the pain
And hurt a little, hurt for me, my future is so bold
But my dreams are not the issue here, for they, the hammer holds

This task before me may seem unclear
But it, my Maker holds
Bebo Norman
copyright 1999

As I was listening to these words that I have heard countless times and know well enough to sing along without mistake, I was challenged as to my purpose. The Westminister Confession says that "the cheif end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever." It has also been said that "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

Although more often than not, I am dis-satisfied with what the Lord has given me. Even when I am mostly content, it frustrates me that my flesh tries to push it's way into the picture. As I was listening to this song I found myself saying, "I am not living in the glorious grace offered by God, because I'm the one trying to live my life. Therefore as I drove down a curvy road with tears of disgust in my eyes, I prayed that the Lord would have me truely live, to live in Him. Even though the tasks before me may be unclear they are in the hand of an almighty and most perfect God who does all things well.

__________________________

As I finish up this post, here on the west coast of the U. S. I pray even more that it would be so. The Lord has been gracious to me and I am overwhelmed at the works of His hands in this day alone and greatly anticipate seeing His work in the coming month. My departure this morning was smooth, apart form the tears shed and the provisions were awesome and therefore I am praising God for a safe arrival.

I intend to post a bit more about my flight in the coming days.

Love Him,
N. L. White

No comments: