Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Monday, March 20, 2006

"Ya' Gotta Have Friends"

I have this friend that I dearly love. (I won't post her name but know that she's really out there.) This past Sunday I held her hand briefly as we walked. In thinking of that tiny moment today I remembered one of the first times I held her hand. It was actually more her holding mine because I was too weak to take hers. Weakened not by an intense battle with cancer or even a slight cold but rather at the thought of my sin and the fact that I am so undeserving of the Great and Awesome God who has called me out of darkness and into His marvelous light.
(Please wait while I grab a tissue...
...Sorry, I had to travel a bit farther than I expected)
It was two and a half years after becoming a Chist-Follower when I was blessed to attend my first "Ladies' Retreat" where 100+ women had spent the last few days in workshops and meetings growing together as Sisters in Christ. Our group had spent a night or two keeping the neighbors up with singing and wild, yet interesting, games. (One neighbor was the piano player...oops) It was just the 10 or 15 of us in the nights but we made our share of noise.
On Sunday Morning, the last meeting of our retreat, we had a time of communion. In my reflection upon the body and blood of Christ I was overwhelmed at the thought that I could have a place at this holy table. As I sat beside my friend she placed her arm around my shivering shoulders and hugged me. (Now, for those of you who know about my "therapy", it began shortly after this retreat.) I continued to weep while the ladies streamed to the table to recieve the elements and my friend lingered with me; prayed with me. When the group had neared the end of an open table, she took my hand and led me, weak and trembling, to the front. I continued to cry and wail within myself as I partook of the body and blood of the Lamb who took away my sin.

(Please wait while I grab another tissue...)

I think now that it was a great lesson for me. A lesson in how to take communion (contritely), how to take communion with the Bride (as one body) and how to move beyond the reality of sinfulness, into the reality of forgiveness once it has been confessed (rejoicing).
Years later I learned something that has blessed me every time I remember it during communion with the Brethern. There is a particular sin offering of the Law recorded in Leviticus that the priests were required to eat of. Peter says that we are "...a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness and into His marvelous light;(1 Peter 1:9)" So as we gather to remember, reflect, and rejoice in the Passover Lamb, sacrificed as our sin offering; sometimes I look around. Not to see who's partaking and who is allowing the elements to pass but to see these fellow priests, this Bride purchased with a heavy price. Praise God that He has not left us as pieces scattered throughout this broken land, but rather as shards of a beautiful vessel held together by the blood of our shared Saviour.
The best part of the friendship I began this post by mentioning, is that I cannot think of that relationship without being driven to think of He who is closer than a friend, closer than a brother (or sister).
1 Peter 2:9-12
9 But you are a CHOSEN RACE, a royal PRIESTHOOD, a HOLY NATION, a PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 for you once were NOT a PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY. 11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them glorify God in the day of visitation.

We Are Children
We are Children of Your mercy, called by Your grace
Seeking just to catch a glimpse of Your face
It once was forbidden, but now by faith
We can, through Your grace, stand in this place.

We are Brothers to one another, children of God
Seeking to be holy, while on this sod
Joined by one Spirit to our Brother, the Christ
Who laid down His life to be our Sacrifice.

We are Children, seeking glory, glory for Your name
Lights shining in a cold, cold dark frame
May the world see our good works of love
And bring You glory, O great Father above

We are Children of Your mercy, called by Your grace
Seeking just to catch one sweet glimpse of Your face
©N L White 2003

No comments: