Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Sunday, June 04, 2006

"Be Still And..."

"Cease striving and know that I am God;..." Psalm 46:10a (NASB)

Many of us have heard this verse in some form repeatedly in our Christian walk. And we know that a calm and Christly confidence is something we should be pressing toward, however none have achieved it in this life. I see from my personal experience that there are two general responses of those who make and effort to "Be still."

1) ...ZZZ...

This is that camp of people who in trying to be spiritual step back and wait for God's leading in such a way that leaves but one thing accomplished...nothing. They step so far back into the cleft that they cannot hear the still small voice. (I must admit that I have fallen into this catagory way too often and tend to forget why I pitched a tent in the wilderness to begin with. I have left camp, sleeping bag tucked under my arm and the fire still blazing in it's circle of rocks too many times.)

2) ...Oh, I forgot to...

This is the group that is gone before the answer comes. The people who sit down before the throne only to write their "to do" list. They find it hard to stay on one subject in conversation with God or anyone else. (Again, this is sometimes me. I rush to the mercy seat only to check it and all my rote pleas off the list, moving on to things that are all too unimportant to life and godliness.)

The correct response must be somewhere in the middle. It can only be found however in the stillness that comes from knowing that God is God.

What can we do in the meantime?
Read the remainder of the verse:
"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 (NASB)

Know that God is God and praise Him for that. Use what you know about Him according to His word as a platform to lift Him up, to exalt Him among all that you meet on this earth. Keep on keeping on in what you know to be His will.

Blessings in the race,
N.L. White

How Great, My God, Thou Art
John 1:3

Jesus the name above all names, with joy it fills my heart!
Creator, pleasing Sacrifice, How great, my God, Thou art!
How great, my God, Thou art!

He bled and died there on the tree, glory to God He brought
And yet He made the sky and sea, O let me forget not!
O let me forget not!

He bought and named me for His own, and fills me with such zeal.
He with His spirit led me then, and now He leads me still!
And now He leads me still!

My fallen self, it died the day He called me to His side.
I’ll run to Him and call on high and in His shadow hide.
In His shadow hide.

Jesus, Creator, and my King, of Thy goodness I sing!
Lord, let Thy Word reign in my heart and let me to Thee cling!
And let me to Thee cling!

O let me ne’er forget how great, my God, Thou art!
How great, my God, Thou art!
N. L. White 2002

No comments: