Helos (Greek: nail)

Here you and I can find what I learn "When I Survey" nailed up.


Monday, March 06, 2006

Mindless Worship

Hey you,

Do you ever just do something out of habit and not really think about why you do it that way?

A couple of years ago I was driving to church like I do every Sunday morning thinking out loud. I was commenting on how I really don't like dresses when I was hit by something I don't think I had considered until that time. "Why am I driving to church at all? Why do I feel committed to do this every week? Why is it that I would drive through storms and high water to get to this place where I sometimes don't even want to be?" The correct answer is worship, but sometimes that is the furthest thing from my mind.

I confessed that I had been so distracted while getting ready that morning that I had forgotten what worship was to be about. In that prayer I also asked God to help me repent of (turn away from) that attitude of go with the flow. How could I even consider just going through the motions when I'm supposed to be worshipping a God so unlike anything I've ever known. How could I take lightly the preparation to join the Saints in approaching the throne of the Almighty. It's like coming to a hungary carnivour with nothing but a salad...he won't be pleased with what is laid in front of him.

Here are some words that came from that prayer.

I've Forgotten
Driving down this road, I've forgotten what it's for.
I don't remember the reason or the cause anymore.
I've given all I have to the dress and to the prep.
Lord, help me remember what it is that You accept.
It is beter to obey than to give a sacrifice.
I have given all I have but I can't escape this vice.
Lord, teach me how to pray, to be faithful to Your Word,
To take up my cross and to follow Your voice...
Your blessings stare me down in the fullness of the moon.
Yet I turn a stone-cold face to the One who would return.
Will He find me ready in my cold and fleshly drone?
Will He leave me here or will He takd me to His home.

It is beter to obey than to give a sacrifice.
I have given all I have but I can't escape this vice.
Lord, teach me how to pray, to be faithful to Your Word,
To take up my cross and to follow Your voice...
Lord, I'm Heaven- bound, come and saturate my steps,
And let everyone know that You're not finished with me yet.

Lord, teach me how to pray, to be faithful to Your Word,
To take up my cross and to follow Your voice...
Copyright N.L. White 2002

1 comment:

4given said...

Now, when you come over on Thursday, are you going to sing this to my children and me... because it sounds like something we all need to hear...